Monday, December 1, 2008

A weeks worth of updates

I'm multitasking today so not actually sure when I will actually get this blog finished to post but I am starting it now. 12:30pm....Very Long entry so get yourself a snack if ya plan on reading it all.
We had Caleb's party last Sunday it was pretty good we had it nice and quiet just our small family and my Grandparents my Mil and my brother and cousin and my friend Jennifer and her mom.
With the way Caleb's moods have been we didn't want to risk the house being full of people. So we just had a small party. I wanted more pics taken of Caleb opening his presents but my brother and cameras just don't get along and he couldn't get it to work. But I took these.

He was quite excited with these Bakugans. It's some show on tv that I really don't think Caleb has even watched but some kids at school had the toys and he decided they were great so he asked for a few of them. Here's Maddy watching Caleb check out his new stuff.

I have no idea what's on her face....It looked like an allergic reaction to something...What? We have no idea but it cleared up in a few days so who knows. If it comes back we will be taking her to the doctors about it.
And the cake I made just a plain vanilla cake with chocolate frosting
Just something simple and he loves my homemade cakes so that works for me. My little brother lighting the candles
And us singing did not sit well with Maddy she informed us we didn't sing well LOL
She's so nice isn't she? Caleb wasn't to into our singing either. He also hates being the center of attention
But that's fine LOL.
Monday he went to school and they called at 10 and said he said he had an appt today we were wondering what time.. Not till 2 so he should be fine. Okay he's doing good today and I say okay. Fast forward 2 hrs later noon my phone rings it's the school, He's having a bad day he's refusing to do work he's laying on the ground, Blah Blah. The therapist there says His moods are changing so quickly. And I was stunned and I responded with Yeah welcome to Bi-polar. She said she took him out of class for some quiet time and had him go around the school with her doing errands and making copies...Um Okay how is that quiet time? The kids over stimulated in class and your going to bring him around the school and over stimulate him more? Sure that makes sense. SO then she says we keep telling him he needs to come sit in the other room and have a time out. And I said Um a time out? We call it quiet time time out is when he's in trouble. Oh okay she responds well I'll go see if that works, If we can't calm him down since he is getting picked up at 2 is there any way if he hasn't calmed down you can pick him up earlier. I said Whatever and hung up. Are you kidding me? What the hell is this school doing for him? Making it worse in my eyes! But I didn't hear anything and my MIL picked him up at 2 because he had his well child check up and well it turns out he's been doing this thing where he's trying to constantly pop his ears and we just thought it was a nervous twitch or something but Low and behold the kid has Allergies...So the doctor started him on Zyrtec And Also the kid needs glasses he's having trouble seeing far away! Ugh! My poor kid is just completely falling apart. Were going to look into getting them for him sometime this week. And our Insurance doesn't cover much. We pay a $25 co-pay and they pay for the exam and then for glasses they pay a whole $60 towards the glasses the rest we have to pay out of pocket. Because were so made of money. Between Caleb's therapy appts ($25 co pay every time) all of his meds ($40 each) Were barely making bills. Christmas is coming and I honestly have no idea how were even going to do it.
So Monday night he starts feeling just down crappy about everything going on and he said "I feel singled out at school." Which I can imagine. What can we do as parents to help him? We can tell him we love him till were blue in the face but if kids at school are ignoring him what can we do? Tuesday I go to wake him up and he's fighting me he doesn't want to go to school he wants to stay home and be with us. He had an appt with his new therapist that will be prescribing his meds at 11 so I said okay forget it just go back to bed and I'll wake you up in awhile. The school calls and says This is attendance we were just wondering where Caleb is today? And I responded with "Well he woke up and I could just tell it was going to be one of those days so since you guys can't do your job I decided to keep him home so it didn't get out of hand." All she said was oh ok and hung up. I'm so damn sick of this school. I called the Principal and of course got her voicemail and I left a message questioning about the meeting they promised me and how I didn't appreciate that I sent tons of links and information on how to deal with him and they ignored it and just called me throughout the day like that was helping. And I also want to know what was said to the kids in his class that he's all of a sudden being singled out by them. And wouldn't you know no one called me back?? Hmm who's have thunk it!
He saw his new med prescribing therapist on Tuesday afternoon and she took him off the Depakote and started him on Abilify 2mg and is going to keep him on the Vyvanse but might eventually switch him to Adderall because she thinks the combination might work better. Like what the hell?? My poor kid! So the rest of Tuesday goes well he plays with the other kids and has an all around day afternoon.....But
On Wednesday all hell broke loose. Caleb woke me up and I told him to take his meds I hand them to him and then I go to put my contacts in as I can't see crap without them and the morning goes off ahh Caleb's being pretty pissy so the other kids are just avoiding him and they were playing with Maddy's washer and dryer and Caleb decided he wanted to play well I'm not sure what happened but Caleb got mad and started lifting the washer and dryer up and down and ended up smacking himself with it so he got mad at Maddy because somehow it was her fault and he smacked Elijah so all three of them are in there screaming at each other and I run in there and calmly remove Caleb and bring him to his room well that's when he just Freaked. Started yelling at me I was the worse mom ever. Every time he tries to have a good day I ruin it for him. He will get revenge on me and he's never going back to school until he does get revenge. I just ignored him and continued folding laundry letting him yell and yell. Then he took the box fan that was in the room and started slamming that into the wall I yelled at him to quit it and he just freaked more. I ended up trying to call Brett who should have been on his way home but got no answer so I called my MIL and had her trying to calm me down and he just kept going. She decided she was going to come get him and take him to her house so I go in his room to pack his things and he's shaking his dresser saying his not going anywhere and he's tipping the dresser which has his tv on it so I pulled him away where he slammed himself into the bed like a threw him and continued to yell. So I go to get things in his bag and he starts kicking me and shoving me telling me to get my fat butt out of his room, And he's just carrying on. I finally just said forget it and left the room. I went to the laundry room to have a cigarette and here comes Caleb coming at the other 2 kids with a box that his Boy Scout popcorn had come in and he's swinging it at Maddy so she kicked him. Can't say I blame her honestly. I go in the kitchen to restrain him and he's whacking me with it. My Mil decides instead of coming to get Caleb she's going to come take the other kids. So I tell them to go get ready and Caleb is in his room ripping down the posters and pictures and taking the thumbtacks and sticking them into the photos saying this is you mom this is you. By this point Obviously I lost control. I went to take the thumbtacks from him and he tried to stab me with them. I take them and follow him into the computer room and stand here. He goes into his room and comes out slamming the box fan around again. At this point Brett pulls in I let my MIL go and run outside. Give Brett the update on what's going on and he comes in and just starts yelling at Caleb which makes him just drop to the floor and start crying. I call the therapist and talk to her and Brett takes Caleb into the bedroom, Where Caleb admits to throwing his pills away this morning instead of taking them. I tell the therapist this and she says forget the Vyvanse just give him the abilify which we weren't suppose to start till Friday and she'll call back in 2 hrs and if he still hasn't calmed down we'll have to take him up to CPEP Which she's hoping to avoid. My Mil shows up takes the other kids we get Caleb finally calm enough to breathe and we breathe. The rest of the evening went off fine quiet which is what we needed.
Thursday (Thanksgiving) My MIL comes here and we do dinner Caleb was quiet and very tired all day which usually happens after a big freak out like that. We go to my Gram's for dessert where Caleb ends up falling asleep around 7. But the rest of the weekend he's been quiet and pretty good actually.
Today I called the district and talked to my cousin about the Principal not getting back and avoiding me and she took my number down and said she'd get back to me. She calls back about a half hour later and says she called around and talked to the secretary at the school and I should be getting a call back...Not even 5 mins my phone rings. We have a meeting at the school on Friday at 11am. Sad it came to that but damn it what was I suppose to do? So Brett my MIL and I will be going to the school on Friday. Cross your fingers something will actually be done.
Sorry this post is so long but I had a lot to get out. Almost 2pm now LOL I'll end it on this pic of Maddy playing Barbies earlier this morning.

*hugs*
Stephy

3 comments:

- said...

I think it's crazy that he's 7!!!
He was just a little guy when i first met you!

Where the hell does time go?

Bridgett said...

It's so sad. Everything about this is sad. Poor little Caleb. He's really going through a rough time right now.

Even worse is that school that's jerking you around. What they're doing is illegal. Caleb NEEDS an IEP. I'd report them. I really would. Maybe you can save some other poor child from going through what you are.

Honey, I hope you'll read the book I sent you the link to by Dr. Kenneth Bock.

He describes scenes almost like what you've described here in this entry and what he did with the child to fix it.

What have you got to lose?

Oh, and the rash around Maddy's mouth? Yeast. I could tell by looking at it.
Just an FYI.

Let us know how the appointment goes on Friday.

XOXO

Gwen said...

Damn Steph, here's hoping the Abilify works for him and the they can get the situation under control. Happy Birthday poor guy! XO