Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Caleb

Okay this is going to be a long entry about what's been going on with Caleb....
There is a lot more I want to update on but for now I'm going to concentrate on my Monka Chunk.
The beginning of December he got glasses...

I personally think he looks handsome. He's gotten used to them now. And he was so excited to be able to get Spongebob glasses. They are pretty cute the top of the frame there are bubbles all over them and the part that goes behind the ear has Spongebob's face. He even got a fancy Spongebob case for his glasses.
And the best news is we actually got the IEP done! This thing was Long. All the testing they did on him took a little over a month. The testing and his results are as follows;
Broad Reading~standard score 118 which is within the high average range.
Broad Math~standard score 130 which is within the superior range.
Broad Written Language~standard score 107 which is within the average range.
Within this testing it showed that he has an IQ of 124. Which is pretty high for a 7 yr old child. Everyone just kept telling us we don't normally see test scores this high in children.
Unfortunately his scores on the EDDT (Emotional Disturbance Decision Tree) showed in the very high clinical range. His "disability" is obviously emotional which impacts his ability to complete tasks and/or receive instruction when frustrated, disappointed or angry. His main problem is writing he hates it and he struggles because at everything else is the best and his writing isn't that great and it frustrates him because he wants it to be perfect he has high expectations of himself and can't handle not being the best. Which is nothing we ever pushed on him. Were happy the way he is but he isn't and that in turn causes problems. So out of the IEP he will get 40 mins a day everyday in the Resourse Room working on his writing with a resource teacher with 5 other children so he will get more attention. And he will also work once a week in the Counseling room with a therapist for 30 mins working on how to over come his issues.
We also have a Behavior Intervention Plan in place.
Which reads as follows;
Intervention Steps/Componets
1. Caleb requires structure and clear cut expectations. Adults should give Caleb directives when approaching a task. When questions are presented to Caleb he is often unable to make the correct choice and behaviour can escalate. For example, Caleb should not be asked if he would like to join a reading group or other activity. He should calmly be directed to get his reading book and join the appropriate group.
2. Caleb will learn how to appropriatly express frusteration and learn positive coping skills. These coping skills will be taught by the school psychologist once per week. Caleb may transition to a group when deemed appropriate.
3. Caleb requires time to cool down when behaviors have escalated and does not appropriatly respond until allowed time to cool down. Caleb is sometimes able to calm himself down within the classroom. The task at hand should be removed and adults/students should not interact with Caleb during this time.
4. Adults will utilize as little verbal communication as possible with Caleb until after he has calmed down.
The lost goes on and on but blogger messed up and removed 5-10 and I'm too lazy to retype it all LOL. Honestly I feel there actually helping him now. Now if only his therapist would get on the ball and help us. She is a complete idiot. She isn't helping us at all. Caleb got in trouble in school again last week it all started on the bus Again and escalated throughout the day. So now after a lot of humming and hawing we have all agreed that he will no longer be taking the regular bus. He will now be taking a Suburban School bus which looks like this
He seems excited I have mixed emotions on the whole thing. Like yes the bus does cause a lot of issues for him but won't that make him stick out more?
And Yay I just got a call from another therapist who is going to fit Caleb in and as Elijah sees her we already like her and she will set Caleb up with someone there to manage his meds so this BS will finally be over. I just want my baby back and I really don't think that's too much to ask. But I am off. I had a lot more to write but laundry's calling and I suppose I should figure out what were doing for dinner.
*hugs*

3 comments:

Bridgett said...

I think Caleb looks great in his glasses! I bet that helps a lot.

Thank God the school is finally doing something to help him. It's about stinkin' time.

I've never seen a bus like that before. Very cool.

XOXO

Anonymous said...

At least they are helping him! Thank God for that!! Nothing wrong with that bus if you ask me, it will be a blessing in the long run. I think Caleb looks adorable with those glasses on! You are doing what is best for your son, so you are a Hero in my eyes. :)
Love,
L

Cindy said...

Hi Steph, thanks for the link :D
I haven't gotten to know you yet, just knew you had kids & that one was Maddy. LOL I didn't know what you were going through with Caleb. I'm glad the school is taking such a proactive approach toward helping Caleb make it successfully, as many children are just bounced around from one 'resource room' to another & never really get the proper help! I look forward to getting to know you and your kids better :) xo Cindy