Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Just book reviews

My friends coming to swap with me so I want to do a quick entry on all the books I’ve read while I’ve been MIA.  Because just because I’m not updating doesn’t mean I haven’t been reading LOL.  And this is more for my records then actual people reading…But I’ve noticed people lately getting pissy because no one comments but honestly I could careless….Of course I LOVE everyones comments but it doesn’t bother me 1 way or another if they don’t comment.  Okay enough of my babble onto the million book reviews.

 

Running with Scissors: A Memoir Running with Scissors: A Memoir by Augusten Burroughs

My review

rating: 2 of 5 stars
I wanted this book to be wonderful I had heard so much stuff about it but...Unfortunately it wasn't a wonderful make me "care" about the characters book. It was good and the guy did have a pretty crap life SO he says. But as I was reading up on him I found that a lot of the stuff he says in his book about the family he lived with is being questioned in court as some of the stories he says the people say are down right lies..So that was a disappointment. But as always there's two sides to every story his story her story and the truth.



Dry: A Memoir Dry: A Memoir by Augusten Burroughs

My review

rating: 3 of 5 stars
Well I have to say the 2nd book in Augustens memoirs was better then the 1st one it still wasn't that good. He is a great write but...He embellishes alot and it's not hard to notice...He'll say stuff and your thinking BS through a lot of the book. It did have it's good moments though. A few tears.


Tales From The Scale Tales From The Scale by Erin J. Shea

My review

rating: 2 of 5 stars
Okay I'm not even sure what to say about this book honestly....There were stories that made me laugh...But some just seemed like Excuses Excuses... I'm okay being "fat" but wait I'm so depressed. I was also expecting a couple of stories not a bunch of short essays which is what it was. Worth the read I suppose though.

The Other Woman The Other Woman by Jane Green

My review

rating: 3 of 5 stars
I have to agree with a lot of the reviews I've read for this book. It seems she spent a lot of the book whining and moaning and in all honesty Over reacting. And the title through me I'm thinking other woman her husbands cheating on her or she's the other woman messing with a married guy but nope...She's talking about her mother in law...Yeah weird.

A Paper Life A Paper Life by Tatum O'Neal

My review

rating: 4 of 5 stars
This book was Tatum O'Neals memoir now I never paid much attention to celebrities..So it was a fresh read for me as I knew none of the on goings of Tatum..I felt the book was really well written and a good read all around. She had a really crappy childhood while being in Hollywood. And it was a bit strange to me as I read it the day after Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson died and her Tatum was talking about both people. And from what I've seen she was really drug through the dirt by reporters and everyone else when she was really going through a lot of problems in her personal life.

Call Waiting Call Waiting by Michelle Cunnah

My review

rating: 4 of 5 stars
I liked it. Was a wonderful part 2 to her first novel 32AA picked right up from where the last book left off. So I already "knew" all the characters and what was going on. So if you plan on reading this read 32AA first or you will be highly confused.

While I Was Gone While I Was Gone by Sue Miller

My review

rating: 2 of 5 stars
Can we say Boring? Oh it really was...She jumped from her current life to her teenage years back and forth like a ping pong ball..And when I finished the book I sat there question what was the whole point of reading it? I mean yes there was an issue that was solved but it just didn't say much about the story. I found a review by another woman on good reads and I have to say I agree with her 100 percent...She says
I liked this book until I realized that I has 1/3 of the way through and couldn't figure out where things were going. And, I figured out I didn't like the lying, cheating central character, who was writing from her own perspective (first person) and absolutely oblivious to how she was hurting people. Even at the end of the book, when she'd had her "epiphany," it was no epiphany, and she did not change, she just found better ways to cover up her lying and cheating.
That about sums up how I felt reading it.

Girls in Trucks Girls in Trucks by Katie Crouch

My review

rating: 3 of 5 stars
Okay again I'm still someone elses review because she summed it up exactly how I wanted to say...Well that and I'm getting lazy LOL.
I can't decide whether to give this two stars or three. I enjoyed the book, but have several issues with it. The narrating style was inconsistent and kept changing. Chapters skipped around in time, which was confusing, and important events weren't always explained. The main character -- Sarah Walters -- wasn't entirely likeable. I kept waiting for her to grow up. And the end was kind of ruined by a huge dose of Sarah's cynicism - you'll have to read it to see what I mean!

Too Late to Say Goodbye: A True Story of Murder and Betrayal Too Late to Say Goodbye: A True Story of Murder and Betrayal by Ann Rule

My review

rating: 5 of 5 stars
Now I've never really read a True Crime book but my mother in law loves them so I was browsing around Barnes and Noble and saw this one for five dollars and who am I to turn down a good deal?
This book was very well written. You got to know the characters you actually felt for them. It covered everything you'd want to know about the characters about the behind stories. And not only do you get one crime but you end up getting two that are solved. I will definitely be reading more of Ann Rule's books.

 

And Finally the last book review….I bet you thought I’d never get done..See what I get for not updating for almost a month?  I saved the best for last…Best because she’s one of my ALL time favorite writers.

Lavender Morning: A Novel Lavender Morning: A Novel by Jude Deveraux

My review

rating: 5 of 5 stars
I am quite pleased to see this is just part 1 of a series Jude has started. The book was wonderfully written even though I'm biased when it comes to her. On another note though it did remind me a lot of Sweet Liar which is also a good book by Jude. This is what the description says
Jocelyn Minton is a woman torn between two worlds. Her mother grew up in a world of private schools and afternoon tea, but she married the local handyman. After her mother died when Joce was 5, her father remarried into his own class, and Joce was an outsider-- until she met Miss Edi, 60 years older than she was, but a kindred soul. When Miss Edi dies, she leaves Jocelyn all her worldly possessions, which includes clues to a mystery that started in 1941, set in a small town in Virginia that Joce had never heard of. But, because of her benefactor's notorious past, the townspeople know who Joce is, and they've plotted out her entire future, including who she is meant to marry. But Jocelyn has her own ideas about men and secrets that no one wants revealed.
I enjoyed it.

View all my reviews.

So I am ending on that note…My friend should be here soon with more books…Even though I still have 7 more of hers to read.  And this week probably will be busy.  But I always find time to read.  I know my reviews aren’t the best but it’s hard to write reviews for books I read weeks ago.
*hugs*

1 comment:

Bridgett said...

I've read,"While I Was Gone" too. I wasn't overly impressed either. Some of it was interesting, but it just seemed to go nowhere.

I've read several of Ann Rule's books.

I recommend "A Stranger Beside Me." Ann Rule actually worked at a suicide hotline WITH Ted Bundy. She knew him personally and they were friends. So this book is about him but because she knew him, she has an interesting perspective.

Great reviews!

OXOX