Well this will probably be a night of tons of posts~Thanks to AOL only letting you put so much! But I saw this on another site and thought Exactly!
It is a miserable condition. And one that most people do not understand, which makes it that much worse. Most people with depression feel isolated and alone as it is, and the fact is, in many ways they are exactly that. We as a culture do not deal well with pain of any kind, but especially psychological pain. We are very much into the "Don't worry, be happy" mentality. And the worst is when people say things like, "Oh don't be sad." If that isn't the most dumb ass thing I've ever heard. I mean, duh, as if we haven't thought of that before. I feel like saying, "Oh, gee, I never thought of that before. Thanks so much for enlightening me! I guess I'll be all better now." But I have the distinct feeling that the people who say that in the first place would totally miss the sarcasm and think I was serious. I believe the rates of depression in this country are so high because we don't like people to be in pain so we act as if it's not allowed. Pain that isn't shared in some way tends to stick around and get worse. When we are very sad about something, we tend to need more from others, but what we usually get is less from others. And that can make a case of the blues, or a reaction to a negative event, turn into a true depression. We are not nearly kind enough to each other. . . .

No comments:
Post a Comment