Thursday, November 13, 2008

Day after the storm......

Well last night was for better words scary. Caleb was off his rocker.
He was not the Caleb that he usually is. He was completely freaking out.
Throwing things. Talking about running away. Talking about just beating him because no one loved him. Throwing himself into traffic because no one cared about him.
No one listens to him. I was scared for my baby boy. I was a basket case between getting beyond frustrated because of his attitude towards things and crying because it was so upsetting. I don't think I was much help at all.
But after much thought and thinking about it....I feel the school dropped the ball. He had an episode on the bus where another little kid pushed him out of his seat and he freaked he was told to move his seat, So in Caleb's mind he got in trouble and the other kid didn't. And that set the mood for the rest of the day.
Okay I just talked to the bus driver and she said she knew he was ADHD and Bipolar (I knew I told her LOL) And she knew at the point when they got to the school he needed to go get a time out cool down period and she called the Principal in to do that and from there was were things must have just gotten worse.
But I do feel the school did not react properly to take into effect that he's not like the other kids. He does have a medical problem that makes dealing with him a bit harder. I asked in the begining of the school year if an IEP was necessary and I was told they didn't see it as needed right now. When we went to the Parent Teacher Conference that if he got over stimulated he will be pulled out of class to go sit with the Therapist which you can read here. So why didn't they do that yesterday?
Yes they pulled him out of class but it must not have been long enough if he was still at the point that he was at. And the Principal apologized and said she didn't know he had these issues that she just knew he was on medication. And that someone told her there wasn't a consistency with the medication. Um yeah there is there's just a point that the Bipolar meds aren't working to full par right now. There's nothing we can personally do about that right now. That's up to the medical doctor who he won't be seeing till November 25th. We can't help that.
I told her I felt that things were not properly dealt with yesterday and they were partially to blame for it escalating the way it did. And I can't guarentee an episode like tomorrow won't happen again, But I'd like to feel confident enough that if it gets out of hand it will be taken care of properly and not escalating the way it did. Because whatever they could have done yesterday they did the opposite and it made him into a ball of rage. And she did agree with me on all that and she is going to help me set up an IEP plan.
For now I can be okay with this but we will see later on how it goes. I have to go to school in the morning with him as he is coming off a suspension. And I will have a meeting with the principal tomorrow and we will see how it goes.
Thanks for all the support.
*hugs*

4 comments:

- said...

I hope that the school gets shit right this time around!

Bridgett's Son Parker who has Autism and you know ( i know you know her) His school would never handle Parker that way. They help Parker with everything he needs. Caleb's school should be doing the same.

Bridgett said...

It's insane an IEP wasn't in place for Caleb.

I agree with you. The school did drop the ball.

I hope things get better for you and Caleb, honey.

XOXO

Anonymous said...

*hugs*
Thinking of you hun!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Stephy --
Just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for a Butterfly Award. Check my blog for more info ;)
*hugs*