Tuesday, March 9, 2004

Too much crap to do

Better read here~ANy other way will cut it short~Stephybeta

Hello everyone!  Sure has been pretty busy here the past few days!  Friday night Caleb got a pretty bad cough so I had been giving him SImply Cough well Saturday night it seemed to be getting worse and his temp was 103.5 so we Tylenoled him up and called the dr!  And of course it wasn't my doctor it was an on call doctor that called me back!  And he told us we should wait the fever out and call our dr on Monday so grr we kept Caleb all tylenoled up till Sunday.  Then he woke up and he had a small cough but he seemed fine.  But SUnday night he was up almost all night hacking and coughing so I didn't go to sleep till sometime after 3 when he finally just fell out.  Monday at 6am Brett woke me up because Caleb was coughing and awake whining and he was all worried which got me worried because Brett is usually the one who stays calm while I freak out so at least one of us has a level head.  So I wake up and decide to take a quick shower because Caleb's dr office doesn't open till 7:30 so Caleb comes and gets in the shower with me since I felt the steam would help him.  And after I'm done he decides he wants to stay in the tubby and play which was good because it gave me time to get ready.  And I hear him start hacking again then he threw up from coughing so hard. SO I grab him clean him up and call the dr office.  And they inform me ther not having any patients today and to take him to Urgent care okay great Brett had to leave work early so we can get him there.  We get to Urgent care and they don't accept his insurance!  GRRR!  How can doctors decide what insurance they take?? Bills get paid no matter what insurance you have!  Right??  So we decided we had to take him to the ER not fun!  We get there about noon they take us in and hook Caleb up to all kinds of wires one for his heart his oxygen intake and all that good stuff.  Well Caleb wasn't getting enough oxygen it was at 90 when it's supposed to be at 100!  So he has to have a breathing treatment!  And let me tell you a sick fussy two year old is not easy to hold while your trying to hold a mask over his face that's blowing "smoky air"  But we got through it and they decide to do a chest X-ray so waiting for an X-ray tech to come get us it's now almost 3pm.  They come get him we go to get X-rays and tape him up in this table thing and let me tell you seeing Caleb like that with him crying MAma is enough to break anyone's heart!  But they get them done and we go back to his room in the ER!  And then about 3:30 they come in and look in his ears his throat and say they will be back.  Now I've been to the ER quite a few times don't they usually do that stuff when you first get there??  But finally quarter of 4 they say we can get ready to go.  YAY!  So I ask (yes I had to ask)  What's wrong.  And the outcome is middle ear infection and the common cold.  Also the doctor said he had some sort of thing in his X-ray that could eventually turn into Asthma!  Great huh??  But I don't feel comfortable with the prognosis!  If it's just a common cold why is my little man coughing so much and so hard?? Why is he telling me his throat has an ouchy??  And a fever that's 103 and only goes down to 101 with tylenol??  So I'm going to get ahold of his Dr and set up an appt with her.  I hate going to the ER!  Doctor makes you feel like you have no idea what your talking about and your just being overprotective. Um no!  His cough sounds like a bronchitis cough and he wheezes when he breathes!  I haven't taken Caleb to the ER millions of times just because I'm over protective!  When he was 3 mons we took him and he had Pneamonia(sp) when he was 11 mons we went because he was running and cut his eye and his dr wanted it checked out (turned out to be nothing serius) and then when he was 1 we went to the ER in an ambulance because he was having trouble breathing turned out to be Croop(sp) and then when he was 15 mons we went because he hadn't pooped in 5 days and his dr was out of town and he needed an enema.  UGH!  Stupid Er!  Stupid Doctors!  (Sorry Bridgette)  But I am off since I wasn't home all day yesterday my house is looking pretty bad. *hugs*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steph!! Thanks for coming by my journal, I don't have your beta version though so I can't finish reading, how is the baby?? HUGS

Anonymous said...

I can't even count how many times Emma has been to the ER because of her breathing problems, it's been many, many times though. So, as you were describing everything that happened, I was sitting here shaking my head because that is the "normal" procedure for the ER to follow. And, just so you know 90 isn't that bad for his oxygen level. Most people breathe at about 94-100 on a daily basis, not many of us breathe at 100 all the time. Emma was once down to 68, so that is pretty serious! Oh, and get this, if Caleb does have asthma, they will not diagnose it until he has had an "episode" 5 times or more. His cough does sound like asthma though. Talk to your doctor about getting a nebulizer at home and abuterol. At least this way, you can give him the breathing treatment AT HOME instead of going to the ER. It really does make a difference and sometimes it's a matter of life or death!

Hang in there sweety! Just know that I have been down this road and am still going down it!! You have my support and respect!
Hugs and love, Lisa

Anonymous said...

By the way...can you use bigger font than this? I had to squint to see it. LOL I must be getting old. =)

Anonymous said...

Trust me, Stephy...you don't offend me by calling doctors stupid. I've been around more than one that was lacking brain-power. As for the ER...I hate it too. When I was diagnosed with colitis....I went to the ER because I thought I was dying. All they did was drug me up. They didn't take x-rays or anything. I finally checked myself out...because their diagnosis was 'gastroenteritis' or 'the stomach flu.' Now, I've the the stomach flu many times in my life and it NEVER felt like that.

Thankfully, I was able to get in to my doctor and was diagnosed with colitis. Potentially, a very serious disease. I was so pissed at the ER.

And I think you're right to question the doctors about Caleb. It doesn't seem like just a cold to me either. Take care of him, Stephy. He depends on you to do what's best for him. I know you will. You're an awesome mom. =)

XO ~ Bridgett