Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The meeting and I'm pretty ticked off


Okay before I even jump into the meeting at the school I just have to say that I am not pleased right now. After 72 years 72 freaking years they are canceling my soap opera. I have been watching this show with my grandma and the woman that birthed me ever since I was a little girl. But come September 18th Guiding Light will no longer be aired on CBS. I was hoping it was an April Fool's joke but nope it's been everywhere in the papers today.
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2009/03/30/daily53.html?jst=b_ln_hl.
I know blah blah it's only a show but I have watched this show forever! Yes they lost a lot of viewers because the writers aren't that great but get new writers don't cancel the show!

Okay off that now onto the meeting. I feel it went somewhat well. I still feel strongly that his principal and the therapist just don't want to deal with him everyday. The principal kept saying to the Special ed teacher well he has a problem everyday right and the Special ed teacher was like no. And the principal was like well wouldn't you say you have to go down there everyday and the special ed teacher was like no. She was trying really hard to have people back her up and they really weren't. And the teacher and the special ed teacher did have some good concerns you know there worried of him hurting himself and not being quick enough to stop him and he is shutting down and getting frustrated and ripping up work that he finished but he doesn't know how to express his frustration. And the Principal was like well we have to worry about the other students we have to be concerned for them. And the Special ed teacher was like no he's going to hurt himself not someone else and the principal was like no we have to worry about the other students and again the special ed teacher was like NO he is going to hurt himself Not someone else. The Principal was just really trying for something and she had no idea what the hell she was talking about. She knows nothing about the disease and she isn't even trying to understand it. The teacher from the other school was there and he does seem like a good guy and he seems like he actually wants to help the students and he understands the disease. He's not bad to look at either LOL. This new program at the school would start Caleb in a classroom with 6 other students and they would slowly transition him into a bigger class but for his problem areas he will work with another teacher with other students. The classroom he's in will have 3 other teachers so he will get a lot of one on one support. Which is good for him. They will also be right there to work with him on his social skills and other problem areas how to control his anger and all that. Also they work closely with the a Psychologist and Therapists that can help monitoring meds and everything. Were going on Wednesday of next week for a tour of the other classroom so we will see. Oh and if he does get into this program they have a summer school program where he will go everyday from 8-2 which I feel will be really good for him honestly. So I'm crossing my fingers.
The head of the special education of the district asked me what were my goals for Caleb in the future and you know everyone else was talking about him passing and doing good and blah blah blah and I looked right at him and said "My only goal for Caleb, I could care if he passes I could care if he fails all I want for him is to be alive. I want him to live to pass or to fail as long as he's alive I don't care if he passes." His teacher and the special ed teacher both looked at me and nodded and smiled at me and both men and the principal sat back in there chair and looked at me like I was crazy. But honestly that's all I care about and given his disease keeping him alive is my main concern. But I am off Brett is finally home and were Chloe babysitting (My Mil's dog) So I'm going to watch some tv w/him I think LOL.
*hugs*

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh, God, Stephy. I just can't imagine how hard this is for you...I know its much more than you can even write about. And you are of course totally justified saying you just want your son alive, good grades or not...alive is the goal. Of course the men looked at you like you were nuts. Men don't grow a child in their womb and give birth, and I fully believe that men are NEVER as close to a child as a mother is. (Not that some mothers could give a shit about their kids, I know those exist, believe me) but you're certainly not one of them. I would DIE for my son, and also I would kill for him if I had to.

Good luck with making your decision, I know it's hard. You're doing a good job. Hugs to you, xo

Bridgett said...

I'm glad you told them just like it is...they needed to hear it. Teachers and educators get so focused on the paperwork and the lesson plans, they often forget these kids have so much more going on. That sometimes, making an A just doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

That principal sounds like she needs to be fired immediately. What a raging asshole. I'd want to switch schools just to get away from her. It's obvious she doesn't want Caleb in her school, so grant her her wish.

The new school sounds fabulous, honestly, Steph. I'll keep my fingers crossed it will help Caleb be the boy he was meant to be. That's what I always hope for Parker.

I bet if Parker and Caleb lived closer, they'd be friends. I think they'd 'get' each other.

Good luck.

XOXO